The one thing I always like about driving through Ontario are the rest stops. I think they're awesome. The last time we drove to NB was 2002, however, and today all we saw were signs saying the rest stops were closed. At first I thought it was just the one, but as we were driving, we kept seeing the same signs. They aren't just renovating these. They were completely levelled. Here is the spot of a former rest stop.
There was a new Canadian Tire rest stop called On Route just before we hit Cornwall...We could get gas and use the bathrooms, but there were only vending machines inside for now. Eventually I think there will be a Tim Hortons and something else in there, but not until September. I find it odd that they wouldn't be able to get these in before the summer travel season began.
We had been driving for 4 hours at this point, so I let the kids run around a bit while Sean got gas.
Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the police officer who stopped us for speeding. Oops! Morgan was very happy that she would get to see a real Speeding Ticket. We stopped again around noon at a rest stop in Quebec where there was a playground for the kids. We stayed for about 40 minutes, and didn't get out of the car again until 5pm when we hit Edmunston, NB. We stayed at the Quality Inn, and as soon as we got in Mason started tearing around the room. He was so happy to be out of his carseat!
We ordered pizza for dinner, then I let the kids do what my parents let us do when we drove from Alberta to NB in the summer of 1977 - jump on the beds!
All in all, it was a great first day. I had never driven more than 3 hours with the kids, so I was very worried about how this would go. The DVD players obviously saved the day, but the kids did amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment